Sustained Collaboration Fund
Beyond the Grant
As part of the strategic restructuring exploration process, your organization may require legal services related to understanding the legal structure of a proposed partnership; analysis of legal implications affecting employees, tax exemptions, contracts, or loans; confirmation that an organization is in good standing with regulatory bodies; protection and/or transfer of intellectual property; and legal documentation of agreements. For more information regarding legal considerations for NSI grantees, click here.
Public Counsel provides free transactional legal assistance to nonprofit organizations that serve low-income and underserved communities in Los Angeles County. Their services are free to qualifying organizations. They employ a pro bono model that leverages the expertise of Public Counsel staff attorneys with the talent of volunteer lawyers from major law firms and Corporations.
For further information, or to apply for legal services, call Annie Marquit at (213) 385-2977, ext. 246 or Ritu Mahajan at (213) 385-2977, ext. 135 and indicate that you are an NSI grantee.
For more information on how to access Public Counsel services, click here.
Reading & Resources
- Merger Pathway Roadmap, Mission + Strategy Consulting
- Mergers that Make a Difference: Case Study Blog Series, Bridespan
- From Idea to Initiative: Real-Time Learning for a Funder Collaborative on Nonprofit Strategic Restructuring, for The Foundation Review, 2019 in partnership with Blue Garnet
- “Will Crisis Lead More Nonprofits to “Marry”? Network Aims to Make Mergers Less Taboo”, Inside Philanthropy, 2020
- “Building Capacity for Sustained Collaboration”, Stanford Social Innovation Review, 2020 in partnership with Open Impact
- “Growing Network Helps Nonprofits with Partnerships and Mergers”, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, 2020
- “A Primer on Nonprofit Mergers & Sustained Collaborations: Lessons from New York City”, SeaChange, 2021